Roots and Borders – a training course for educators and facilitators
Place: Berlin, Germany
What is the training about
A minimum of 82.4 million people are currently displaced globally. These are numbers of the UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, that do not include the number of people currently fleeing the war in Ukraine. But these numbers already illustrate the dramatic situation many people on Earth have to face currently.
The flight movement from the war in Ukraine caused high solidarity among people in different European countries, first and foremost in Poland, where a high number of people first arrived. Unfortunately, this is not always a given. People with a migratory background are often confronted with rejection and prejudices.
During this training, we want to throw light on the situation of people having diverse backgrounds and who have undergone the fate of escape and war. By presenting various methods of non-formal education we want to show professionals of youth work how to give young people an understanding of this topic. Thereby we will learn the method of participatory photography. Furthermore, we will work with the method of restorative circles that allows bringing a deeper understanding of opposing opinions existing in a community. Additionally, we are going to deal with the concepts of identity and migration and you will get the chance to benefit from the trainers' and participants' experiences in youth work.
In the training, you will learn how to:
- bring together different perspectives on the topic of migration and borders,
- approach young people and provide knowledge through non-formal education methods,
- learn the method of participatory photography,
- use conflict resolution methods such as restorative circles in order to mediate in sensitive dispute situations,
- promote tolerance and a better understanding of cultures and what helps us to better understand the perspectives and stories of others,
- develop critical thinking and grow awareness of the situation of people with a migratory background.
The training is for you if you:
- are active in youth work, civic or citizenship education or history projects, or would like to get active,
- would like to learn new methods and approaches,
- are at least 18 years old,
- are currently living in France, Germany, Great Britain or Poland (citizenship does not matter),
- are fluent in English,
- are vaccinated against or recovered from COVID-19.
Thanks to the funding, the participation fee is low and covers accommodation, full board and all programme activities. Its amount is determined by the country you live currently in:
Germany: 90 €
Great Britain: 90 €
France: 90 €
Poland: 50 €
Thanks to the funding, we can reimburse your travel costs according to the rules of our financial supporter. The shown amounts present the maximum reimbursement that each participant can receive for the economy class travel:
Germany: 180 €
Great Britain: 275 €
France: 275 €
Poland: 180 €
Application form and deadline
If you want to join the training please fill out the application form by 25th July 2022.
Kreisau-Initiative e. V. (Berlin, Germany)
SocialVisions e. V. (Germany),
TDM Polska 2000 (Poland)
Fundacja Krzyżowa dla Porozumienia Europejskiego (Poland)
Maison de l’Europe de Paris et Foyer de Rencontres Internationales (France)
Boys’ and Girls’ Club of Wales (Great Britain)
The project is co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union.
Ms Carolin Wenzel
Kreisau-Initiative e. V.
phone: +49 (0)30 53836363