International training on tools for historical and political education
“More than just one truth? Tools and perspectives for historical and political education” is an international training for youth workers and teachers and educators who are active in the field of historical and political education. The training will be an interactive exchange of new perspectives and innovative tools and methods for youth education. The overall aim of the project is to foster tolerance and understanding for each other among young people, counteracting developments like increasing nationalism, racism, hate speech and one-sided views on the past.
The training is divided into three five-day seminars, which will take place in Sarajevo (Bosnia-Herzegovina), Krzyżowa (Poland) and Trebnitz (Germany). During each seminar, we will deal with different topics and methods, which will be linked to the respective regional and local history. Methods and approaches that will be discussed throughout the project include:
- the "Entangled History" approach for non-formal history education adapted by the Kreisau-Initiative,
- games in historical education,
- working with contemporary witnesses,
- methods to counter hate speech and conspiracy theories,
- visits to memorial sites, museums and institutions dealing with history, memory and civic education.
We also encourage the participants to share best practices with each other. The aim is to provide a large toolbox of methods and ideas to each educator, that can be used for traditional as well as hybrid and digital learning. After the training, each participant will be granted a Youthpass certificate.
- 27.05.-31.05.2022: seminar in Krzyżowa (Poland) – days prior and after are travel days
- 31.10.-04.11.2022: seminar in Trebnitz (Germany) – days prior and after are travel days
- 1st half of 2023: seminar in Sarajevo (Bosnia-Herzegovina)
In this training you will:
- Travel to Sarajevo, Krzyżowa (Poland) and Trebnitz (Brandenburg, Germany), get to know these places, their history and exchange with educators from those countries.
- Get to know new innovative methods that you can use in your daily youth work.
- Learn more about gamification, creative use of social media in education and work with contemporary witnesses and more.
- Learn how to deal with hate speech and conspiracy narratives.
- Learn how to critically reflect on historical and political education.
This training is for you if:
- you are working (or are aiming to work) in the field of historical and/or political youth education,
- you plan to take part in every seminar,
- you aim to improve your methods and share them with others,
- you are at least 21 years of age,
- you live and work in Germany, Poland or Bosnia-Herzegovina,
- you can communicate with others in English.
Participant’s fee (for the whole training):
For participants from Germany: 150€, Poland: 90€, Bosnia-Herzegovina: 60€ (covers accommodation, full board, all programme activities including visits to memorial sites, museums and institutions related to the topic of the seminar, exchange with an international team of trainers).
Travel costs will be reimbursed in accordance with the donors’ rules, the maximum amount depends on the seminar location and will be communicated beforehand.
- House of German-Polish Cooperation
- Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen (ifa) e.V.
- Krzyżowa Foundation for Mutual Understanding in Europe
- Trebnitz Castle Education and Exchange Centre
- History Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Apply under the following link: https://bit.ly/3tn1Kbv
Contact: Stefan Mehrens, stefan.mehrens [at] haus.pl +48 77 407 9525 (House of German-Polish-Cooperation)